Post  English Crusader on Fri 8 Feb 2008 - 9:58

Last edited by Devotee #1 on Fri 1 Apr 2011 - 18:24; edited 16 times in total
English Crusader
**** ADMINISTRATION ****
**** ADMINISTRATION ****

Back to top Go down

New York Nightmare

Post  English Crusader on Sun 24 Feb 2008 - 6:33

On one occasion when Deanna Durbin and her mother visted New York, poor Deanna had to either stay in her hotel room or if she did venture out, she would have to go with a guard. She would be whisked away in a big black limousine with fans running along the side of the car. Deanna was really concerned that someone could get hurt.

Last edited by English Crusader on Fri 27 Jan 2017 - 8:46; edited 6 times in total
English Crusader
**** ADMINISTRATION ****
**** ADMINISTRATION ****

Back to top Go down

Cinderella

Post  English Crusader on Sun 24 Feb 2008 - 21:04

After the release of THAT CERTAIN AGE, Universal Studios were planning a movie for Deanna Durbin with working titles of either CINDERELLA or AFTER SCHOOL DAYS which they were considering as the first colour production for Deanna. However, THREE SMART GIRLS GROW UP was the next movie that was made followed by the black & white Cinderella story called FIRST LOVE.

Last edited by English Crusader on Thu 9 Feb 2017 - 3:57; edited 5 times in total
English Crusader
**** ADMINISTRATION ****
**** ADMINISTRATION ****

Back to top Go down

Norway

Post  English Crusader on Sun 24 Feb 2008 - 23:30

In 1946, Universal Studios planned to produce a movie called SONG OF NORWAY in colour which was an operetta based on the life story of composer Edvard Grieg. The Los Angeles Civic Opera Company produced SONG OF NORWAY in June of 1944 and then it opened on Broadway in August of the same year. Deanna Durbin was set to play the female lead of Louisa Giovanni in the screen version, but she never made the movie which was eventually released in 1970.

CLICK HERE

Last edited by Devotee #1 on Thu 29 Dec 2011 - 13:53; edited 3 times in total
English Crusader
**** ADMINISTRATION ****
**** ADMINISTRATION ****

Back to top Go down

Adventure Stories

Post  English Crusader on Mon 3 Mar 2008 - 22:53

Deanna Durbin was the heroine of two 1941 novels both written by Kathryn Heisenfelt and published by Whitman Publishing Company. The heroine had the same name and appearance as Deanna Durbin, but had no connection. It is as though the famous actress had stepped into an alternate reality in which she was an ordinary person. The books were part of a series known as "Whitman Authorized Editions."

Last edited by Devotee #1 on Sun 29 Aug 2010 - 11:31; edited 14 times in total
English Crusader
**** ADMINISTRATION ****
**** ADMINISTRATION ****

Back to top Go down

Garbo

Post  English Crusader on Mon 3 Mar 2008 - 23:03

Deanna Durbin was thrilled that Leopold Stokowski took her to a dinner party held by Greta Garbo!! Cool Cool

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

Last edited by Devotee #1 on Thu 29 Dec 2011 - 13:56; edited 6 times in total
English Crusader
**** ADMINISTRATION ****
**** ADMINISTRATION ****

Back to top Go down

Home Town

Post  English Crusader on Mon 10 Mar 2008 - 9:11

Deanna Durbin and her mother visited Winnipeg in April of 1937. They both took the opportunity to visit grandmother, Sophia Read. Deanna also sang on the radio and had breakfast with the Mayor of the City, Frederick Warriner. At City Hall she was presented with the Coat of Arms of Winnipeg and signed the distinguished visitors book.

Last edited by English Crusader on Tue 14 Feb 2017 - 7:59; edited 20 times in total
English Crusader
**** ADMINISTRATION ****
**** ADMINISTRATION ****

Back to top Go down

Have I Ever Told You

Post  English Crusader on Mon 10 Mar 2008 - 12:34

Mel Tormé (1925-1999) was an American musician, known as one of the great male jazz singers. He was also a jazz composer and arranger, a drummer, an actor in radio, film, and television, and the author of five books. He said that Deanna Durbin was one of his musical heroines:

"Durbin was phenomenal. Possessed of a glorious operatic voice, she could and did sing anything put in front of her to perfection!"

CLICK HERE

Last edited by Devotee #1 on Thu 29 Dec 2011 - 13:57; edited 2 times in total
English Crusader
**** ADMINISTRATION ****
**** ADMINISTRATION ****

Back to top Go down

Be A Good Scout

Post  English Crusader on Wed 19 Mar 2008 - 20:45

In 1937, Deanna Durbin was given honorary membership of the Boy Scouts by Troop 42 of San Diego.

CLICK HERE

Last edited by Devotee #1 on Thu 13 Aug 2015 - 10:54; edited 6 times in total
English Crusader
**** ADMINISTRATION ****
**** ADMINISTRATION ****

Back to top Go down

Josephine

Post  English Crusader on Thu 24 Apr 2008 - 6:25

The next movie after BECAUSE OF HIM was to be called JOSEPHINE, but it turned out to be I'LL BE YOURS which was Deanna's first movie after the birth of Jessica.

Last edited by Devotee #1 on Tue 28 Aug 2012 - 11:19; edited 2 times in total
English Crusader
**** ADMINISTRATION ****
**** ADMINISTRATION ****

Back to top Go down

Brave Deanna

Post  English Crusader on Fri 25 Apr 2008 - 9:37

The story goes that one of Deanna’s friends came over for a swim in her pool. The girl ventured out beyond her depth and began to drown. Deanna was not a great swimmer, but she knew something had to be done, so she dove in at once and pulled her to safety. Like a Star @ heaven

Last edited by Devotee #1 on Thu 29 Dec 2011 - 13:58; edited 5 times in total
English Crusader
**** ADMINISTRATION ****
**** ADMINISTRATION ****

Back to top Go down

Rex Harrison

Post  English Crusader on Sat 26 Apr 2008 - 22:12

Deanna Durbin with Rex Harrison and Lilli Palmer:

Rex Harrison (1908-1990) was born in Lancashire, England as Reginald Carey Harrison, but changed his name to Rex as a young boy, knowing it was the Latin word for King. Starting out on his theater career at age 18, his first job at the Liverpool Rep Theatre was nearly his last - dashing across the stage to say his one line, made his entrance and promptly blew it. However, soon he began landing roles in the West End. FRENCH WITHOUT TEARS, a play by Terence Rattigan, proved to be his breakthrough role. He attained international fame when he portrayed the King in ANNA AND THE KING OF SIAM. Rex is best known as Professor Henry Higgins in the original production of MY FAIR LADY. He won the Tony for the play and an Oscar for the film version.

Last edited by Devotee #1 on Sun 25 Jul 2010 - 1:04; edited 11 times in total
English Crusader
**** ADMINISTRATION ****
**** ADMINISTRATION ****

Back to top Go down

Ginger Rogers

Post  English Crusader on Sat 26 Apr 2008 - 22:15

Deanna Durbin with Ginger Rogers:

Ginger Rogers (1911-1995) was an Academy Award winning American film and stage actress, dancer and singer. In a film career spanning fifty years she made a total of 73 films, but is best known for her roles with Fred Astaire as his dancing partner in a series of ten Hollywood musical films.

Last edited by Devotee #1 on Thu 29 Dec 2011 - 13:59; edited 6 times in total
English Crusader
**** ADMINISTRATION ****
**** ADMINISTRATION ****

Back to top Go down

Jane Withers

Post  English Crusader on Sat 26 Apr 2008 - 22:16

Deanna Durbin with Jane Withers:

Jane Withers was born in 1926 in Atlanta, Georgia and was an American actress best known for being one of the most popular child film stars of the 1930's and early 1940's.

Last edited by Devotee #1 on Mon 7 Apr 2014 - 12:20; edited 7 times in total
English Crusader
**** ADMINISTRATION ****
**** ADMINISTRATION ****

Back to top Go down

Golden Girl

Post  English Crusader on Sat 10 May 2008 - 6:31

Deanna Durbin certainly thrust Universal into larger theatres being the first contract player that could, and on a repeated basis. It got to where lines formed for whatever she did. Deanna's movies were so popular that Universal was able to charge a 35 percent rental fee for them, while most Hollywood movies could only charge 25 percent.

Last edited by Devotee #1 on Mon 7 Apr 2014 - 12:22; edited 7 times in total
English Crusader
**** ADMINISTRATION ****
**** ADMINISTRATION ****

Back to top Go down

Admiration

Post  English Crusader on Mon 9 Jun 2008 - 6:04

Deanna Durbin admired Spencer Tracy:

CLICK HERE

Deanna Durbin admired Margaret Sullavan:

CLICK HERE

Last edited by English Crusader on Wed 28 Dec 2016 - 1:27; edited 4 times in total
English Crusader
**** ADMINISTRATION ****
**** ADMINISTRATION ****

Back to top Go down

Home Video

Post  English Crusader on Sat 28 Jun 2008 - 11:06

When the movies of Deanna Durbin were released on VHS by MCA/UNIVERSAL in the mid-1990's, they quickly became the best selling series of "classic" movies in the corporation's history, outselling contemporary performers like Bing Crosby, Marlene Dietrich, Claudette Colbert, Abbott and Costello, Ma & Pa Kettle and the Universal Horror series of movies. MCA/UNIVERSAL made a reference to that fact in the introductory comments to the second set of Deanna Durbin VHS releases when it stated that the second release is "Due to the unprecedented popularity" of the first set of movies!!

Last edited by Devotee #1 on Mon 7 Apr 2014 - 12:22; edited 2 times in total
English Crusader
**** ADMINISTRATION ****
**** ADMINISTRATION ****

Back to top Go down

George Tinkham

Post  English Crusader on Sun 29 Jun 2008 - 19:44

Congressman and big game hunter George Tinkham told Deanna Durbin he had seen a picture of her on a poster in the middle of Africa!!

CLICK HERE

Last edited by Devotee #1 on Sun 18 Jul 2010 - 11:53; edited 4 times in total
English Crusader
**** ADMINISTRATION ****
**** ADMINISTRATION ****

Back to top Go down

Gloria Vanderbilt

Post  English Crusader on Sat 5 Jul 2008 - 2:34

On 24 June, 1939, Gloria Vanderbilt visited California and had lunch with Deanna Durbin at Universal Studios:

CLICK HERE

Last edited by Devotee #1 on Wed 12 Jan 2011 - 11:13; edited 9 times in total
English Crusader
**** ADMINISTRATION ****
**** ADMINISTRATION ****

Back to top Go down

Joan Crawford

Post  English Crusader on Tue 26 Aug 2008 - 7:22

Deanna Durbin with Joan Crawford at the Cafe La Maze:

Joan Crawford (1905-1977) was an American actress, named the tenth Greatest Female Star of All Time by the American Film Institute.

CLICK HERE

Last edited by Devotee #1 on Thu 29 Dec 2011 - 14:03; edited 1 time in total
English Crusader
**** ADMINISTRATION ****
**** ADMINISTRATION ****

Back to top Go down

Not Okay

Post  English Crusader on Tue 28 Oct 2008 - 9:48

Deanna Durbin was asked to play the female lead of the original Broadway production of OKLAHOMA (1943), but Universal Studios refused to loan her out!

CLICK HERE

Last edited by Devotee #1 on Thu 29 Dec 2011 - 14:04; edited 2 times in total
English Crusader
**** ADMINISTRATION ****
**** ADMINISTRATION ****

Back to top Go down

Edward G. Robinson

Post  English Crusader on Sun 21 Dec 2008 - 13:27

A 1942 photo of Deanna Durbin with Edward G. Robinson:

CLICK HERE

Last edited by Devotee #1 on Thu 29 Dec 2011 - 14:05; edited 2 times in total
English Crusader
**** ADMINISTRATION ****
**** ADMINISTRATION ****

Back to top Go down

Gloria Jean

Post  English Crusader on Thu 7 May 2009 - 7:41

Deanna Durbin with Gloria Jean:

Gloria Jean (born Gloria Jean Schoonover on April 14, 1926 in Buffalo, New York) was an American singer and actress who starred or co-starred in 26 feature films between 1939 and 1959. She also made radio, television, stage, and nightclub appearances.

Last edited by English Crusader on Fri 17 Feb 2017 - 7:45; edited 10 times in total
English Crusader
**** ADMINISTRATION ****
**** ADMINISTRATION ****

Back to top Go down

Drena Drubin

Post  English Crusader on Sun 1 Nov 2009 - 10:56

Let it not be said that Deanna Durbin hasn't a sense of humour. Particularly when it comes to laughing at herself. One of her favourite stories was told her by Andy Devine. Seems that rotund Andy was in an elevator, taking up more than his share of room, no doubt, when he overheard two women squeezed in the corner talking about him. "He’s an actor," one of them whispered. "I saw him in a picture with that girl who sings, oh, you know who she is – Drena Drubin." Ever since then Deanna has called herself Drena Drubin. "I feel like a character with her bloomers showing," she said.

CLICK HERE

Last edited by Devotee #1 on Sun 20 Oct 2013 - 11:44; edited 4 times in total
English Crusader
**** ADMINISTRATION ****
**** ADMINISTRATION ****

Back to top Go down

Coiffure Guild

Post  English Crusader on Mon 26 Dec 2016 - 11:39

Deanna Durbin with Janet Blair and Helen Hunt at a Coiffure Guild banquet in Los Angeles:

Last edited by English Crusader on Mon 26 Dec 2016 - 12:05; edited 1 time in total
English Crusader
**** ADMINISTRATION ****
**** ADMINISTRATION ****

Back to top Go down

Three Ways

Post  English Crusader on Sat 18 Feb 2017 - 9:29

In 1938, Olive White won a suit against Jack Sherrill and Frederick Falin for one third of the commissions they received on Deanna Durbin's movie and radio earnings. Judge Stutsman held that an oral contract did exist between Mrs. White and Mr. Sherrill. Mrs. White testified: "I got a call from Mrs. Rita Warner (employee of Jack Sherrill). She asked me if I knew any amazing child talent. I told her, yes. Then she wanted to know if she was very amazing, and I said in my opinion that she was better than Melba ever was." Mrs. White then related to the court that at the instigation of Mrs. Warner she arranged for an audition late that afternoon in November, 1935. "They met me on the sidewalk outside the studio where Deanna was studying. I raved about the girl and I wanted to know where I came in on this. Sherrill said: If she is as good as you say she is, we split it three ways. So I took them into the studio. Deanna was singing the scales with Ralph Thomas at the piano. I had her sing four or five songs. Sherrill liked her immediately and said not to worry as she would make us plenty of money." Further testimony of Mrs. White was to the effect that she introduced Sherrill to Deanna's parents, and characterized him as an excellent agent and honourable man. Deanna's career began to take off with work obtained on the radio. At a time when Deanna was earning only $150 a week Mrs. White said that Sherrill told her, "I have to run around like a maid; I have to take her to the Trocadero, and her sister always has to go along, and I pay the bills. I have to borrow money to see that she is seen at the right places. When she gets to making $1000 a week there will be something to divide. I will call you up to come and get your third."

NOTE: Jack Sherrill's niece is a member of the Deanna Durbin Devotees.
English Crusader
**** ADMINISTRATION ****
**** ADMINISTRATION ****

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum